The LSU AgCenter has announced its 2009 Southwest Rice Tour will be held May 26.
The program will start at 9 a.m. with coffee and registration at the Fenton, La., Farmers’ Cooperative at 1311 U.S. Highway 165.
The event will continue at the Jimmy Hoppe Farm near Fenton where participants will view rice research plots and a soybean date-of-planting study.
LSU AgCenter experts will make several presentations:
• New experimental rice lines under development with Steve Linscombe, Brooks Blanche and Xueyan Sha.
• Weed control with weed scientist Eric Webster.
• Information on fungicides with plant pathologist Don Groth.
• Rice fertilization with agronomist Dustin Harrell.
• A representative from RiceTec will talk about the company’s variety selection.
The field day will then move to the Mark Pousson farm where LSU AgCenter entomologist Natalie Hummel will review rice water weevil control.
The event will wrap up at the Welsh Community Center for lunch and an overview of the rice crop by Johnny Saichuk, LSU AgCenter rice specialist.