Cattle producers struggling with intensifying drought learn about management and tax options Aug. 16 at the North Central Arkansas Drought Management Conference at North Arkansas College.
“This year’s drought is really forcing cattle producers to seek out alternative sources of feed, while trying to keep an eye on their bottom line to survive into another season,” said Mike McClintock, Boone County Extension agent. “We want to be able to show producers the options available to them.”
The conference runs from 6 p.m.-9 p.m. and will be held at North Arkansas College’s Durant Center, 303 N. Main Street, Harrison, in Durand B. There is no pre-event registration required and no cost to attend.
On the agenda:
- 6 p.m. – Tax Advice for Livestock Producers - Larry Keeter, CPA.
- 6:20 p.m. - Cattle Management During Drought - Dr. Tom Troxel, Associate Department Head- Animal Science, University of Arkansas Division of Agriculture.
- 6:50 p.m. - Break- Light Refreshments.
- 7:05 p.m. - Using Alternative Feedstuffs - Dr. Shane Gadberry, Associate Professor- Nutrition, University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture.
- 7:40 p.m. - Forage Management-From Damage to Recovery - Dr. John Jennings, Professor-Forages, University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture.
- 8:30 p.m.- Questions and Answers.
- 9:pm – Adjourn.
For more information contact:
- Baxter Co.:Mark Keaton, (870) 425-2335.
- Boone Co.: Mike McClintock, (870) 741-6168.
- Carroll Co.: Randy Forst, (870) 423-2958.
- Marion Co.: Brian See, (870) 449-6349.
- Newton Co.: Adam Willis, (870) 446-2240.
- Searcy Co.: Shadenna Rainbolt, (870) 448-3981.
For more information on coping with drought, visit Arkansas Drought Resources or contact your county Extension office.