Set for Thursday, the full Delta Research and Extension Center Corn and Soybean Field Day agenda has been released. The field day at the Stoneville, Miss., facilities will begin at 2 p.m.
Among those now scheduled to speak is Trudy Fisher, Executive Director of the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ).Fisher’s topic, sure to be of interest to Delta farmers, will be “Water Challenges in the Delta: In This Together.”
“I have served as a farmer-member of the DEQ Delta Water Task Force since Ms. Fisher established it in November,” says George King, Chairman of the Delta Council Soil and Water Resources Committee and member of the Delta Sustainable Water Task Force. “Her leadership in the challenges facing us in Delta water balance has been valuable. As we reach a consensus on the way we want to address these challenges in the Delta, Trudy and her staff will continue to be important in our efforts.”
Thursday’s full agenda:
- 2:00 p.m. – Registration, Capps Center.
- 2:30 p.m. – “Water Challenges in the Delta: In This Together.” Trudy Fisher, Executive Director, Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality.
- 3:30 p.m. -- Field tours.
- Tom Eubank and Jason Bond. “Resistant Weed Issues: Are you using residual herbicides to control palmer amaranth?”
- Jason Krutz. “Timely irrigation initiation and termination in soybeans: How critical is it?”
- Don Cook. “Corn and Soybean Insects: How are corn ear worms affecting your crop? Investigating new insect thresholds.”
- Tom Allen. “Soybean and Corn Disease Issues: Are fungicides a necessary management tool?”
- 5:30 p.m. – Reception. Delta Council Building (door prizes to be given away).
For more information on the field day or to preregister, visit http://www.msucares.com/drec. Preregistration is required to be eligible for door prizes. Direct questions to Charles Smith at (662) 686-3207or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more, see here.