- From Delta dirt to cotton beauty to the hard-working faces of American agriculture — here are the Top 10 most viewed photo galleries on deltafarmpress.com for 2012 in descending order.
Servando Dias, N. Rios Trucking, Duncan, Miss.
From Delta dirt to cotton beauty to the hard-working faces of American agriculture — here are the Top 10 most viewed photo galleries on deltafarmpress.com for 2012 in descending order.
10. Southern crops looking strong at harvest — photo gallery — Chris Bennett
Despite a summer of intense heat and drought, Southern crop fields looked strong as farmers entered harvest season.
9. Delta dirt the lifeblood of Southern agriculture — gallery — Chris Bennett
Technology and technique will always change; but Delta dirt remains the same — the lifeblood of the region’s agricultural heritage.
8. Peanut harvest arrives for Delta farmers — field photos — Chris Bennett
Peanuts are a very promising crop for Delta growers and peanut acreage continues to increase. Mark and John Agostinelli, Agostinelli Farms, Clarksdale, Miss., and Steve Ferri, Ferri & Ferri Farms, Clarksdale, Miss., began flipping peanuts and preparing to run combines in late September.
7. Delta crop fields full as summer arrives — photo gallery — Chris Bennett
Summer’s heat is merciless in the level land of the Delta. With the heart of summer still to come, Mississippi producers were hopeful of a fine harvest.
6. Delta crops endure as heat wears on — photo gallery — Chris Bennett
U.S. agriculture has been hit with tremendous heat in 2012 — with more to come. Cotton, corn, soybean, rice and peanut fields show the tenacity of Delta farmers as they battle with high temperatures and summer sun.
5. Cotton bales rolling out of Bobo-Moseley Gin — photos — Chris Bennett
Ginning season was in high gear at Bobo-Moseley Gin Co., Lyon, Miss. Managed by Rodney Conley, Alamo, Tenn., Bobo-Moseley sends out 1,100-1,200 bales each day.
4. The simple beauty of cotton — photo gallery — Chris Bennett
A sea of white cotton strikes a chord that no other crop can match and the beauty of an open boll is timeless. Cotton is a wonder fiber grown on thousands of farms across the United States.
3. 2012 Mid-South Farm & Gin Show: A Delta Farm Press Photo Album — Hembree Brandon, Elton Robinson and Forrest Laws
When the first Mid-South Farm and Gin Show was held 60 years ago, few probably gave much thought to the future of the event — that it would survive into another century and grow to nearly 500 exhibits, featuring equipment, technology, and services that couldn’t have been dreamed of then.
2. Corn harvest advances — Massey Planting Co. photos — Chris Bennett
At Massey Planting Co., Rudyard, Miss., combines rolled across Turner Massey's fields as the 2012 corn harvest advanced. Massey says the 2012 harvest may have been the best corn yields he's ever had.
1. Photos: Faces of American agriculture 2012 — Chris Bennett
America is blessed with the most productive farmers and agricultural workers in the world. The United States has been graced with another year of plenty: food, fuel and fiber — all produced through the effort of American farm workers. Here are a few of the faces whose toil made it happen in 2012.