- Emergency personnel within the Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry (LDAF) are in position to respond in the event parishes needassistance during Tropical Storm Isaac.
Emergency personnel within the Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry (LDAF) are in position to respond in the event parishes needassistance during Tropical Storm Isaac.
“We have taken a number of proactive measures to make sure anyone who evacuates toa shelter that accepts pets havethe accommodations needed. We understand pets are part of the family and people don’t want to leave them; we don’t want anyone putting themselves in harm's way because they can’t leave their pet behind,” said LDAF Commissioner Mike Strain, D.V.M. “Providing fuel for lifesaving and emergency agencies also falls under LDAF so our crews have readied emergency fuel supplies.”
Actions taken by LDAF:
- Emergency fuel operations activated to support lifesaving and emergency support missions.
- Stakeholders and non-governmental organizations have been notified of current status of activation.
- LDAF Alexandria pet shelter division is currently activated and operational. The Bastrop and Shreveport shelter divisions are on standby status.
- Department of Corrections inmates are setting up 500 pet cages and veterinarians are also on standby to assist LDAF pet shelter operations in Alexandria.
- Livestock personnel are prepared to offer assistance to producers in coastal areas.
- The transportation branch is activated and prepared to conduct pet sheltering, evacuation and transportation operations.
- The food safety division is on standby for mass feeding support.
Livestock owners who run into problems with their preparations can call their local Office of Emergency Preparedness (OEP) for a list of veterinarians or other assistance.