- The USDA announces addition of 13 biobased product categories which are eligible for federal procurement preference.
- More than 1,500 additional biobased products will be offered for preferred purchasing consideration by all federal government agencies and contractors.
The USDA has announced the addition of 13 biobased product categories which are eligible for federal procurement preference. Now more than 1,500 additional biobased products will be offered for preferred purchasing consideration by all federal government agencies and contractors. The final rule was published in the April 4 Federal Register.
In February, President Obama issued a Presidential Memorandum to create jobs through increased procurement of biobased products by the federal government and to encourage greater Federal support of the BioPreferred program.
"There are now more than 10,000 products qualifying for preferred procurement under USDA's BioPreferred program" said Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack. "Including previously designated items, these 13 additional biobased product categories will help feed the President's initiative by offering even more products with federal procurement preference."
The final rule designates the following biobased products for preferred federal procurement:
- Air fresheners and deodorizers.
- Asphalt and tar removers.
- Asphalt restorers.
- Blast media.
- Candles and wax melts.
- Electronic components cleaners.
- Floor coverings (non-carpet).
- Foot care products.
- Furniture cleaners and protectors.
- Packaging and insulating materials.
- Pneumatic equipment lubricants.
- Wood and concrete stains.
Biobased products are composed wholly or significantly of biological ingredients in new or emerging markets -- renewable plant, animal, marine or forestry materials. A BioPreferred designated item is one that meets or exceeds USDA-established minimum biobased content requirements.
BioPreferred is comprised of a preferred procurement program for Federal agencies and a voluntary labeling program for the broad scale marketing of biobased products.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about the Round 8 final rule or the BioPreferred program.
A complete list and detailed description of each BioPreferred designated item, and items for future designation, can be found here or follow BioPreferred at http://twitter.com/BioPreferred.