- NRCS announces winning proposals funded for the 2011 Conservation Innovation Grants.
- Winners listed.
Mike Sullivan, Arkansas state conservationist for the USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), has announced the winning proposals funded for the 2011 Conservation Innovation Grants.
One Arkansas project received $205,343 and three other selected proposals, in which Arkansas will share funding with other states, have been awarded more than $1.683 million in Conservation Innovation Grants.
Conservation Innovation Grants invests in innovative, on-the-ground conservation technologies and approaches, with the eventual goal of wide-scale NRCS adoption to address water quality and quantity, air quality, energy conservation, and environmental markets, among other natural resource issues.
NRCS administers Conservation Innovation Grants as part of the Agency's Environmental Quality Incentives Program. Grants are awarded to state and local governments, federally-recognized Indian tribes, non-governmental organizations and individuals.
Below is a list of the fiscal year 2011 Conservation Innovation Grants awardees. The information includes the state(s) in which the project will be carried out, the total amount of NRCS funding provided, and the project title.
The list of awardees:
- The University of Arkansas was awarded $205,343for integration soil, crop and pest monitoring using spatial technology on Arkansas cotton farms to achieve nutrient loss reduction -- in cooperation with Little River Ditches MRBI/CCPI.
- SureHarvestwas awarded $761,820 for stewardship index for specialty crops.
- Kerr Center for Sustainable Agriculture was awarded $271,174 for resilience system design and management for organic, transitional and sustainable vegetable growers.
- The University of Tennessee was awarded $650,827for precision nitrogen injection using integrated optical sensing and variable rate technologies.
A brief project description of each project awarded a 2011 Conservation Innovation Grant is available at www.nrcs.usda.gov.